Frequently Asked Fee Questions

What are the fees for the USTIF?   


The following information is a substance guideline used for billing purposes by the Collections Unit of the Underground Storage Tank Indemnification Fund (USTIF).

Substances Subject to Gallon Fee

Gasoline Gasohol
New Motor Oil Aviation Fuel
Hazardous Substance Mixture
Other Farm Diesel
Gallon fee collected by distributor at time of delivery


Year Rate Per Gallon
2004 to Present $0.011
2003 $0.01
2002 (4/1/02-12/31/02) $0.001
2002 (1/1/02 - 3/31/02) $0.0005
2001 $0.0005
2000 $0.0005
1999 $0.001
1998 $0.005
1996-1997 $0.01
1994-1995 $0.02

Substances Subject to Capacity Fee

Diesel Kerosene
Heating Oil (coverage optional) Unknown
Used Motor Oil  

Capacity fee, due annually

Year Rate Per Gallon
2004-current $0.0825
2003 $0.075
2002 (4/1/02 -12/31/02)  $0.02
2002 (1/1/02 - 3/31/02) $0.01
2001 $0.01
2000 $0.01
1999 $0.02
1998 $0.10
1996-1997 $0.15
1994-1995 $0.15

Questions Concerning Fees, Contact the USTIF at:
(800) 595-9887 (In PA) 
(717) 787-0763 

How am I billed for the USTIF Fee? 

Any registered UST is billed according to the substance that is contained in their UST.

Gallon Fee: billed by the Distributor at time of delivery based on $0.011 per gallon.

Substances Subject to Gallon Fee:  

Gasoline Gasohol
New Motor Oil Aviation Fuel
Hazardous Substance Mixture
Other Farm Diesel

Capacity Fee: billed annually by USTIF based on a $0.0825 per gallon multiplied by the size of the UST. 

Substances Subject to Capacity Fee :  

Diesel Kerosene
Heating Oil (optional) Unknown
Used Motor Oil

Is this a mandatory program?   

The USTIF is mandatory unless you have a deregulated heating oil tank, for which coverage is optional.

What is the USTIF's billing cycle?  

The USTIF bills annually for capacity fee with each year's new bill sent in December. Monthly statements are sent until the balance due is paid in full.  Distributors are required to submit a Throughput Gallon Report electronically  to the Fund monthly.

Are there payment options?  

The USTIF offers the option of paying the capacity fee in full or making monthly payments of the minimum due which is stated on the capacity statement. Credit cards and echecks are the acceptable forms of payment through the Commonwealth's financial services provider on the USTIF website (https://ustif.pa.gov)    

How do I know if my tank is a regulated underground storage tank (UST)?

The Storage Tank and Spill Prevention Act 32 of 1989 specifies which UST's are regulated. Generally, a regulated UST is any tank with a capacity greater than 110 gallons and which are at least 10% or more beneath the surface of the ground. The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) determines whether a particular UST is regulated.

Which UST's are exempted from the USTIF?

The term UST shall not include:

  • Farm or residential tanks of 1,100 gallons or less capacity used for storing motor fuel for noncommercial purposes;
  • Heating Oil tanks used for space heating only;
  • A septic or other subsurface sewage treatment tank;
  • A pipeline facility;
  • Surface impoundments, pits, ponds or lagoons;
  • Storm water or wastewater collection systems;
  • Flow-through process tanks;
  • Liquid traps or associated gathering lines directly related to oil or gas production and gathering operations;
  • Storage tanks situated in an underground area (such as a basement, cellar, mine working, drift, shaft or tunnel) if the tank is situated upon or above the surface of the floor;
  • Tanks permitted pursuant to the Act of July 7, 1980 (P.L. 380, No. 97), known as the Solid Waste Management Act, including piping, tanks, collection and treatment systems used for leachate, methane gas and methane gas condensate management.
  • Any UST system whose capacity is 110 gallons or less.

How do I change my USTIF account information? 

To change any tank status or owner information on your USTIF account you must submit an Amended Registration Form to the PA Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). When the database is updated, the USTIF account will be adjusted accordingly. To change a billing address or to make heating oil account changes contact USTIF at (800) 595-9887 (in PA) or (717) 787-0763.

Who is required to pay the fees to the USTIF? 

Tank owners with registered UST's or owners of participating heating oil tanks are required to pay the USTIF fees.

I have not used my UST for years, it is in "Temporarily Out of Use" status, am I still required to pay the USTIF fees? 

No, provided the tank has been properly placed in "T" (temporarily out of use) status with the PA Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and remain empty of product.   A tank is "empty" when "all materials have been removed using commonly employed practices so that no more than 2.5 centimeters of residue...remain in the system."  25 Pa. Code §245.41(c).   Under 25 Pa. Code §245.41(f), tank owners shall amend registration for changes in service, including permanent or temporary removal from service.  In addition to the amended registration form, DEP requires satisfactory evidence of the tank's "empty" status in the form of the invoice for pumping out the tank or a certified individual's signed statement verifying that the tank is empty.   For tanks that are "empty" but not registered in "T" status with the DEP, please contact DEP at 800-428-2657 or 717-772-5599 to have your tank status updated. (Answer revised January 15, 2014)

I have an out-of-state Distributor, do I have to submit the Gallon fees myself?   

If a tank owner has an out-of-state distributor who does not collect and remit fees to USTIF, then the tank owner is required to submit their gallon fees to the USTIF. An in-state distributor is responsible for submitting the customer's fees to the USTIF.

I deliver product to a state and/or federal agency, do I charge the gallon fee?   

No. State and federal agencies are exempt.  Local and county agencies are not exempt.